Thursday, May 1, 2014

Blog 7: Writing & Workshopping versus Blogging & Publishing

~I Apologize Now Because This One Is Going To Be A Long One~

This blog has to be about the processes of writing and workshopping versus blogging and publishing. By this, I mean that I am going to contrast my semester's experiences of writing and helping others write through in class workshops and the process of writing this blog and posting work online.

Now, I'm a slightly different case than some of my classmates when it comes to the publishing side. I have had work posted online for a few years now on a website known as Figment. I have also had a writing blog where I take requests and write anything from short stories to fanfictions based on those requests. I haven't been very active on these sites since I started this scholastic year as my load has been very large. But I have always loved the art of blogging and/or publishing my work. For me, it is actually easier to get outside criticism from anyone and everyone on the internet than my peers in group workshops! There is just something so alluring about those little user icons giving me critiques!

In regards to the writing and workshopping side within the classroom and off the web, I personally love writing in script. I can't get enough of taking out a notebook and pen that will probably smear all over my knuckles and hand and just sitting there and writing. Especially over the summer! As a lifeguard of three years now, I find that over the summer I have a lot of time where I am cut off from technology and have nothing my imagination and a notebook or book to entertain me. This is when I get the most writing done. Or at least the most idea building. Over the semester I try and replicate this feel by leaving my phone and laptop behind and bringing a notebook with me whenever I am going to just sit by myself and collect my thoughts. Even just writing little one liners or thoughts down helps generate that feeling of being a part of my own mind enough to create something new and original.

In truth, however, I hate in person workshops. I feel that my ideas are never able to be articulated and shared when i am critiquing others and I often get nervous and anxious when my own writing will be looked over by a number of people who know my name and face and, to a point, my life. It gets rid of the disconnect I had grown so comfortable with while posting my work online for such a long time. It's also a lot harder to correct my spelling or very clearly spell out my thoughts when I am speaking aloud and not typing on my laptop.

In truth, if I had to chose between the two different sides of this blog, I'd have to go with writing and workshopping. No matter how much sitting in front of 16 of my peers and reading aloud scares me, I'd much rather hand write something, put it into a word document, and then get the critiques of people I know I can trust. People I know will be brutally honest with me. People who aren't afraid to be a little mean in order to give the best critique because they expect the same treatment in return. It's a different experience sitting in front of the class and being workshopped, but to a point it is better. It gives you that intimacy you need to truly get a good critique. Yeah, it's scary, but so are a lot of other things about writing. That doesn't result in a world is suddenly devoid of fiction so why should workshopping scare people away from writing classes and sharing their writing with peers?


Despite not having posted much in a while or really been a part of the community, I thought I'd share my profile from Figment.com. I plan on being more active come the summer and might even post some of my work from this semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment