Friday, April 11, 2014

Point of View Exercise

So, in class we had to take a story beginning and re-write it using a variety of points of view to sort of take us further into editing and revising and show us what we could do to change up our writing. This activity helped me discover the new way I wanted to write my story, "The Montgomery Chronicles", which I had been having trouble expand. I think that each POV (First reliable, First unreliable, Third omniscient, Third close, Dialogue only, and other) really has it's own strengths, but the one I found I favored has to be Third Person Close. I enjoy the intimacy it gives you with a character, and by switching character POVs every chapter, you could really develop a character well using this POV method. The one I disliked most was First Person Unreliable. I don't know why, but I have trouble making my character's in the first chapter or so of this story unreliable. I solved this by, instead, choosing a slightly different part of the beginning that features an antagonist and writing from his perspective, allowing me a conduit for the unreliability.

Below is my favorite POV snippet, Third Person Close.

I hope you enjoy!
-Amanda

"Sarafina stepped out of the shower, her hands running through her hair before moving to in front of the mirror. Her right hand flounced her hair forward over her shoulder as her left hand lifted her clumpy glasses to her pale face. “This is alright…” she thought as she examined herself, her hands running down her naked side and legs; her lips turning down at any jiggle.
            She grabbed a bra and underwear and slid them on before grabbing her hair dryer and trying to tame her blondish-gray waves. “My hair always looks so blah” she thought as she pulled and worked one inch pieces, “How the hell did it get this long?
            Once she was pleased with how her hair fell, Sarafina took her glasses off and began to apply a light coat of make-up. She never put too much on, just enough to hide her occasional acne and take away the shadows her glasses cast on her cadet blue eyes." 

No comments:

Post a Comment