Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Blog 8: On Revision

Revision. Dear lord, I hate the process of revision. I've just never liked taking something I felt was right, sitting down, and taking stuff out. Or changing things. Or looking for grammar and spelling errors. I'm also not very good at it, and a personal fault if mine is my hatred of things I'm not very good at. Math? I don't like it. Languages? Noooope. Revision? double nope.

despite this, I can understand why, especially this semester, it was so important. When writing a longer piece, it became necessary to revise. I would get so lost in the story and the process that i'd sometimes loose sight of things that were important. Going back, reading over, and changing things is necessary when writing a long story, any story really. This class helped me realize the importance of revision.

In terms of the actual process I use, it's a little unconventional. I read over it myself, change things and use the in class workshops as a guideline to lead the way, but on top of everything I use my roommate. My roommate, Rachael, is interested in one day becoming an editor. Because of that, we made an agreement that when I right, she reads it. She's the first one to see it and often she's the only one besides the teacher. She offers me grammar advice and even helps to fix the story a bit. She is probably my strongest revision technique. Without her, i'd be a mess of run on sentences.

Because i'm not the best at explaining revision, i decided to link two sites below to really help someone understand revision! One of them is a blog post on revision, the other is a blog devoted to it.

Revision Warriors

Essential Writing Skills: Editing and Revision

No comments:

Post a Comment