Saturday, January 18, 2014

New Year's Resolutions

So, I've always created a list of resolutions and told myself, day after day, that I would keep them. This year was no different. I laid out a mental list of the things I want to change in my life. I would share them here, but i'm a firm believer that telling someone your resolutions is step one to not completing them! Anyway, this year was no different. For the first few weeks I powered through it and completed daily tasks to build towards the change, but now? Now i'm starting to slack off and drop them once again! This year is going to be different though, and that isn't just a feeling, i'm taking active steps and i've decided to share them with you!


  • First, https://habitrpg.com/static/front. I'm really big into rpg games and for anyone else who is this might be perfect for you! It's a website that makes an rpg game out of your life. Habitrpg allows you to set daily tasks that will drain health if not completed, make a to do list with rewards and deadlines, create a list of habits that could have positive or negative effects depending, and have a list of rewards that you can unlock by completing tasks day in and day out in order to keep those New Year's Resolutions in check.

  • Second, http://litreactor.com/columns/write-every-day-in-2014-14-steps-for-forming-a-writing-habit. A goal i've had for the last few years is to write a little bit every day, but each year i've failed by getting distracted or just telling myself I didn't have the time. For anyone who has a similar problem, I suggest you read this post! It lists ways that you can stick to writing every day. The best thing? It doesn't have to apply to just writing! It can apply to any new habit you are trying to form, be it exercise, reading, taking the stairs, etc.

  • Third, http://karenkavett.com/blog/2037/dont-break-the-chain-calendar-2014.php. These lovely little things, which I first saw on the youtube channel Charlieissocoollike, are amazing! They give you a calendar for the whole year and you can print one for each resolution you have! They even have different colors! You can set the repetition pattern of the habit (i.e. I want to walk my dog every Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday). You should definitely check them out!


  • Fourth, I'm trying to appreciate the little things. I'm doing this by taking part in the 100 Days of Happiness Facebook status revolution! Basically, every day, for a hundred days, you post about what made you happy that day. Wether you had a crappy day or not, it is your job to pick one thing out at least and post it! I'm not doing to well on the posting them on time part of it, but no matter what it's still making me think about the things that make me smile every day. 

  • Finally, I'm making an active change in my way of thinking. Yes, this in itself is something I'll have to work hard to do, but it's time I did. I've spent my whole life a pessimist who was afraid to take chances. This year, that stops. I'm done being afraid to live my own life! I plan on trying new things and living life for the now instead of cowering in a mental corner afraid of what people will think about my past and present and even future actions. 


Here's to an amazing 2014 full of new experiences, new people, and new habits!

1 comment:

  1. What a great post on habit formation and writing. This will stand you in excellent stead for the semester. aq

    ReplyDelete